Tuesday, March 16, 2010

EYE see you!

I made this little critter for my friend Krakit a while back, and he was good enough to take some pictures of it to share with everyone (he digs monsters with big eyeballs!).



It started its life as a Planet 51 Kids' Meal toy from Burger King. I found it for ten cents at a thrift store I frequent. You can see the original toy below beside the one I worked on:





It was as easy as cracking the thing open, removing the eye in the center (it's connected to the inside back of the toy by a spring so that it vibrates like a hipster on caffeine), painting the eye up, putting it back together, painting the outside, and glazing it with gloss finish. The hardest part, hands down, was the cracking it open bit. That thing was determined to stay in one piece. I worked and worked and worked on getting it to open up without damaging the outside of the figure.

It amazed me how much detail was sculpted onto that guy-- painting it was a breeze because it has such a cool texture. That's definitely one of the cooler kid's meal toys I have seen in a long time.



You can find cool toys to paint up all over the place! You don't have to spend an arm and a leg-- this little booger was only ten cents. Now... let's see what you can find for cheap to work with! Go! Go! Go!!!!!

No comments: