Saturday, November 6, 2010

From the ashes...

A few weeks ago my friend Billy's house burned to the ground. No one was hurt in the fire, but Billy lost almost all of his personal belongings. I don't know about you, but I can't imagine losing everything I own in just a few minutes. I take all my stuff for granted waaaay too often.

Billy had a massive toy collection that was impressive in ways I can't begin to describe-- and almost everything was mint in its original packaging too!. He had so many packaged Transformers, G.I Joes, and other stuff that his place looked like an insane-o toy store!

Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you... the results of a fire burning your toy collection to the ground:





AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!


That's just a few of the G.I. Joes that actually sort of made it through the fire.

I posted these pictures over on the October Toys Forum just to show what can happen to your stuff in a fire, and the great guys and gals there not only sent their love, care, and prayers to Billy... they sent their toys to him as well-- they didn't even know the guy either! They're just honestly some of the kindest, most generous, caring people I have ever known. In the weeks after I posted those pics I was contacted by a handful of the posters there who wanted to share their toys with a fellow collector who had lost his collection. Boxes from as far away as Australia and Brazil kept my mail carrier busy! When a good chunk of packages arrived I decided I'd make someone's day!

I went to my nephew's house where Billy has been staying and completely surprised the crap out of Billy-- he literally had NO idea I was even coming to see him, so it really knocked him down when he saw what I had for him.


The box... I had to really work my butt off to fit all this awesome in one box. Wanna know what kind of box it was? It was a meat box. Meat boxes are cool. I guess.


Billy had never had any Sigma Six figures... he was QUITE impressed!


Bag-O-Goodies! These are some of Billy's first designer toys, so expect to see some cool customs coming from that bag. I'll break his legs if he doesn't make some.


WHOOOSH! PEW PEW PEW!!!


KALI MA! KALI MA! KALI MAAAAAA, SHAKTHI DEH!!!!!!


Billy in one of several speechless moments during the whole thing.


My nephew walked in at that moment... look at his "Whaaaaaa?" expression! Gotcha, dork!


This one hit the spot! Billy had this movie before the fire! Good call!


Mystery gift from Rio de Janeiro...


Success-- you managed to give him a G.I. Joe he never had! Yay! He was really blown away by that!


Lookit all that awesome stuff!!!! And my camera strap!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!


The October Toys Forum guys are THE BEST!!! Some guys even sent original art! YOWZA!


Remote control R2D2?


OH YEAAAAHHH!!! BEEP BOOP BEEP!!!!



Billy was totally blown away and he truly appreciates all of the wonderful things these guys sent and all the thoughts and prayers that everyone contributed. You guys went above and beyond to make things a lot better for him.

I want to thank all of the people who cared enough to share their time, toys, and art. You guys are some of the very best people in the world. I love all of you dudes and dudettes!

A BIG hand for the boys and girls of the best toy forum in the land!!!



And keep your eyes glued to this blog in the next week... I'm putting together a big blog post featuring some of Billy's fantastic artwork... including some never before seen pieces! YOWZA!

No comments: